U.S. Cities Don't Make The Intelligence Cut, Network World
Excerpts: The ICF selects the Intelligent Community list based on how advanced the communities are in deploying broadband, building a knowledge-based workforce, combining government and private-sector ¡§digital inclusion,¡¨ fostering innovation and marketing economic development.
As announced by ICF chairman John Jung, the intelligent city finalists are:
* Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
* Gangnam District, Seoul, South Korea
* Issy-les-Moulineaux, France
* Ottawa-Gatineau, Ontario-Quebec, Canada
* Sunderland, Tyne & Wear, United Kingdom
* Tallinn, Estonia
* Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Excerpts: The notion that there is a 'social brain' in humans specialized for social interactions has received considerable support from brain imaging and, to a lesser extent, from lesion studies. Specific roles for the various components of the social brain are beginning to emerge. (...) It has proved more difficult to assign a role to medial prefrontal cortex, which is consistently activated when people think about mental states. I suggest that this region may have a special role in the second-order representations needed for communicative acts (...). However, these cognitive processes have been driven to ever higher levels of sophistication by the complexities of social interaction.
- Source: The Social Brain?, C. D. Frith, DOI: 10.1098/rstb.2006.2003, Philosophical Transactions: Biological Sciences, 2007/01/24
- Contributed by Atin Das - dasatinyahoo.co.in